Tuesday 25 May 2021

Review: "TWICE SHY" by Sarah Hogle

Hi readers!!💙 How are you?
I know, our blog is mainly written in Italian but we think, from time to time, to add something in English too, especially when it comes to books that stole our heart or we really want to talk about! 

What has moved me, this time?
Well, this year I made a list of ALL the books I wanted to catch up (new or from the last year) and since I was enamoured of "You deserved each other" by Sarah Hogle - which I totally recommend if you haven't read it yet, I was eager to get my hands on her second novel. So, thank you so much @prhinternational for the free book in exchange of an honest review. 

But first, some practical informations: 

Title:
Twice Shy
Author: Sarah Hogle
Publishing Date: April, 6th, 2021
Publisher:  Putnam Pub Group
Pages: 308
Price: 15,07 €

Plot:Maybell Parrish has always been a dreamer. But living with her head in the clouds has always felt preferable to dealing with reality, whether it's managing her panic attacks, navigating the wild world of dating apps, or getting her coworkers to show her a little respect. So when Maybell inherits a stately old Tennessee manor from her eccentric Great Aunt Violet, she realizes it's the perfect opportunity to make a fresh start, and finally take control of the life that's making her increasingly unhappy.
 

But when she arrives at her new home, it seems her troubles have only just begun. Not only is the manor practically falling apart around her, but its handsome yet reclusive groundskeeper, Wesley Koehler, who lives in a cabin on the property, seems to want nothing to do with her. Worse still, Great Aunt Violet left Maybell a bucket list of tasks she has only six months to complete if she wants to retain control of the estate--and Maybell won't be able to tick off all the items without Wesley's help.

Convincing the taciturn Wesley to stop avoiding her is a task more formidable than anything on Great Aunt Violet's list. But when Maybell discovers that beneath his brooding exterior lies an anxiety that exceeds her own, she realizes they might have more in common than she ever dreamed. And as the two slowly begin to let down their guards, they just might learn that sometimes the smallest steps outside one's comfort zone can lead to the greatest rewards.

 

 Review: 

Rating: 5 stars! ⭐

I don't know how Sarah is capable of that, but she seems to create characters and stories that link immediately with me intimately and hit me hard for their concreteness.

I've adored this story.

It's completely different from “You deserve each other”, but it's still special in its unique way.

It's less hilarious, but it’s absolutely an enjoyable, sweet and tender journey that leads the reader to the path that links Maybell and Wesley together, and it’s SO adorable. It’s a twist of destiny that helps both to face their doubts and fears about themselves and the way to relate with another person.
It seems an easy thing to say, “I’m a shy person” or “I’m anxious”, but few people understand and really know what it really means. Sarah has been amazing to depict it in front of the reader without pity or faux stereotypes.

She shows Maybell’s fears, daydreaming (I’m so happy not to be the only one doing it!) and the growth of her self-confidence to express what she wants to do and what she feels, stopping to be overwhelmed by others personality and toxic presences. And then there’s Wesley. As per “You deserved each other” I ached for his point of view, but Sarah has been perfect in making us understand him step by step as our main character does. And he’s so sweet, so caring, he listens (thing not so obvious) and remember us that the male figure hasn’t always to be expansive, self-confident, and invincible to be a good person even before someone to fall in love. For me it’s impossible not to love him, and feel the heart tighten itself seeing his personal struggles.
The point is, you can empathize with them, you can see yourself in those two people, but even if you don’t because you have a different personality, this author has been amazing in making all of their feelings and worries tangibles through motions, words, actions.

Maybe it's stupid to say, but I'm proud of them both. They're two amazing people that have a big heart and they just needed the right push and time to understand they are two loving people, that deserve attention and care. They deserve someone that really look and listen to them and it has been amazing to see how gradually they came nearer and fell in love.

It's a slow story and someone could see there's not a climax. Well, maybe not in the usual way, but if I've learned something in the last years about books, you don't need an epic event to make a book work. Here there is a constant crescendo: even in moments you could see a potential fracture in their relationship, both choose the mature way to face the situation (and that is, in my opinion, something really peculiar because often drama is preferred) permitting their bond to grow stronger, so they can have the time and space (on the pages) to face other ghosts of theirs.

And then, the final chapters, left me in tears. I won’t make any spoilers, but let me say just other few things:

1.       the tension between those two has nearly killed me!

2.       I’m a Violet and Victor fan. Their story is so romantic!

    3.       I'm so curious about what will happen next!! The ending is so open-ended I'm biting my nails to            know more! :'(  
           Anyway, it's a price I'll pay forever if I can have and read another Sarah's book. 

 

Thank you Sarah, again, for another beautiful book. It will be another story that takes place in my heart, absolutely. 


And you, readers? Have you already read it? You would like to? Let me know and let's chat about it! 💓 And most of all, would you like to see more reviews in English? Let us know!


Chiara


0 comments:

Post a Comment